Site Player

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Best Finds of 2011 - #8 - German Error Message - "Reaching Out"

It's easy to write a good loud song, but it's difficult to write a good quiet song. I don't know why this is, but it just is. Sometimes I think it's because artists aren't comfortable with warm, gentle, or sad emotions and the song seems awkward of forced as a result, while other times I think it's because the artist allows the emotions to come pouring out, and the song sounds like a sob-session-meets-cheese-fest as a result.

While the great artists/bands usually release one or two amazing slow songs at some point in their career (classic example), most of these are even loud in their slowness.

German Error Message's "Reaching Out" is one of the best quiet songs I've heard in a long time ... maybe since Sufjan Steven's Seven Swans album. This band is super indie (they just performed at a coffee shop a couple weeks back in TN), their music is fantastic, and I'm so happy I stumbled upon this track last spring – it deserves to be in our Top 10 ...  up with some pretty remarkable company.



p.s. I really hope these guys land a record deal ... please share them with others.