Site Player

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Best Finds of 2011 - #3 - The Kills - "DNA"

Summer Cuts is like the shadow of Summer Guide. Where Summer Guide is backyard BBQs, Summer Cuts is the late-night dance party. This lead off track to Summer Cuts, rips the top off and lets you know that the party has just started.

Back in May, out visiting White Rock, I got the sneak peek at Summer Cuts. With a single blow it got in my blood and my brain, and made me crave raw, sexy, bluesy rock, and heavily influenced Mixtape 10. It became kind of an inspirational theme song, getting me to add tracks by Brisa Roche and Grand Ole Party, but nothing quite captured the magnificence of 'DNA'. In the end I asked Regan if I could add it to Mixtape 10, only the second time in the history of Mixtapes and Summer Guides that this has happened. [This was the first.]

The Kills are a two piece outfit comprised of Alison Mosshart and Jamie Hince. They seem like a bit of an odd couple, as Mosshart has a lot of charisma (and hawt!), and though Hince can lay down the licks, and I'd hesitate to call him dorky, he seems like he's lucky to have scored a babe like Mosshart. The two have been compared to the sound of the White Stripes (but then any minimalist two-piece co-ed band has to be right?). Mosshart did work with Jack White in the Dead Weather, but I'm glad that she didn't give up her main gig, as the Kills make magic together. This track was from their fourth studio album Blood Pressures that came out in April 2011.

When you're ready to rock out click on the track below!