Site Player

Friday, July 22, 2011

Starfucker - "Hungry Ghost"

I'm really digging these guys right now...and one of their tracks will definitely end up on Mixtape 10. This track features the voice of Alan Watts, one of the first westerners to "tune into" Buddhism. I like the message here. "To make life poignant, it's always going to come to an end".


Hungry Ghost from Ryan Parker on Vimeo.



This band presents an emerging challenge on the mixes too: their name. As my kids become more into music, something I love to share and guide them in, I become aware of things that are let's say "not appropriate". The biggest and most recent example of this was Hawksley Workman's "Warhol's Portrait of Gretzky" from Mixtape 9. The original super-catchy chorus is "pretty fucking sexy". I sprang for the 'clean version' amending it to "pretty bloody sexy". I'm glad I did, because it's my kids favorite tune from the mix, and they sing it all the time. Even hearing them sing "pretty bloody sexy" is a bit disconcerting.

Anyways, these guys have gone by STRFKR for awhile, but on their latest album "Reptilians", they are back to Starfucker, and may show up as Star****er on Mixtape 10.