Site Player

Friday, July 22, 2011

First Rate People - Funny Games

Well, while one of my least favorite genres of music was early 90's Top40 Dance music (e.g. Haddaway,  Technotronic, etc.), and while the first time I heard this song I couldn't help but shiver and shudder as bad, bad memories came flooding back of being trapped at parties, school dances, clubs, etc. where there was no escape from bad Top40 Dance music in the early 90's, this song – Funny Games – grew and grew on me when it kept coming up a big random mix I had going in the spring, to the point that it's now found a spot in one of my iTunes playlists. It takes the basics from that sound, and gels it with some rather melodic, indie-esque, slacker-singing.


Does it foreshadow the next generation of really bad, 90's-sounding Top40 Dance music? I hope not. God I hope not. But here it is, a fusion of sounds, that to my surprise, actually works. Enjoy!