Site Player

Monday, May 7, 2012

Beastie Boys

This week marks the passing of Adam Yauch aka MCA from the Beastie Boys. It's hard to overstate the impact these guys had on my musical development. Any of their albums instantly take me back to some good times with good friends. Paul's Boutique in particular seemed like the party/hang-out soundtrack for a 2-3 year period. I'm sure I learned to hacky sack and do sink-tokes while listening to this album. This week The AV Club travelled to NYC to get the scoop on the Paul's Boutique classic album cover.
New York: The Paul’s Boutique corner The Beasties have had so many iconic videos. Like SOOO many. How is that possible? In large part it was courtesy of MCA, who under his filmmaker moniker 'Nathaniel Hornblower' directed many awesome videos including So What Cha Want, Pass the Mic, Jimmie James, Sure Shot, Shake Your Rump, Intergalactic, and Make Some Noise, which was a short version of the star-studded short film "Fight For Your Right (Revisited)" featuring celebrity stand-in Beasties trippin' on acid. They have so many classic ones. A couple directed by Spike Jonze including Sabotage, and 'Don't Play No Game that I can't Win' They have so many classic ones, it is hard to chose a favorite. But I think just for old time's sake I'm going to go with "Hey Ladies", in part because I love the disco vibe.