Site Player

Friday, January 6, 2012

Best Finds of 2011 - #28 - The Arcade Fire - "Culture War"

While Arcade Fire's Grammy-winning Suburbs album was released in the summer of 2010 (so glad they got the credit they deserve!), the band waited almost a full year to release a single which I think should have made the album cut. Maybe the song hadn't been completed by album release date, or maybe they thought it wasn't good enough, but I think it's a contender for one of the best songs off the album it didn't make.

The clapping beat is steady, Butler's Neil Young-esque vocals (while singing about - what I think - is the cultural tumult of the late 60's and Vietnam) fits brilliantly with the tepid lyrics, and the layers upon layers of instruments that build up to the "You want it, you got it!" ending is awesome!

I gave this more points than Marc did, and was hoping it would rank higher in our overall results, but I'm glad it made our Top 30 finds of 2011.