Site Player

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Best Finds of 2011 - #24 - The Avett Brothers - "January Wedding"

This is one of at least three songs I selected for this Top 30 list where I was slow on the uptake, with it being released in 2009. While the Avett Brothers have "made" it onto my random playlists for the last couple years (as if everyone knows it's such an honor, right?), I didn't "discover" the band until I was over at a good buddies house projecting YouTube videos onto the wall with his laptop, in a fun evening of musical tradesies.

This live version of January Wedding was one of the songs he played, I said I knew it, but seeing the passion and energy that these guys play with, I conceded that he "won" the best song of the night, and, as a result, coupled with the fact that another friend (that same week) told me Bob Dylan thought they were the best artists he'd heard in the past 20 years, the Avett Brothers sky-rocketed into the stratosphere of my personal ranking list.