Site Player

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Best Finds of 2011 - #22 - Summer Camp - "Veronica Sawyer"

Summer Camp made some quality noise in the indie rock world in 2011, and this song, in my opinion, was their best. The lyrics are ones all of us who have lived the young and restless lifestyle can relate to ... I mean who hasn't "lost all my friends" and wondered "who are these people" I'm hanging out with now? And Elizabeth Sankey's rich and layered vocal tracks only add to the well-crafted, poppy angst.

But the reason this song made Summer Guide 11, as well as our Top 30 Finds of 2011 is because it's "so much more."  There are two killer guitar riffs in the song: the opening one which brings to mind a swirling down and down and down that plays with the thematically matching lyrics, and the fuzzy, discordant upward riff that goes with the lyrical repetition of "I've got so much more than this." And if you listen closely, Warmsely very subtly builds a mini-symphony of sounds by the end of the track. Pretty awesome for a two-piece band.

Really, though, no matter how I try and break down and analyze why this song is so cool, it just is, and makes me want to be 21 years old again, waking up to the fact that I need to get my sh!t straight.