Site Player

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Major Lazer

Here's a little Saturday morning fun for ya.

Hold the Line:


A collaboration between producer DJs Switch and Diplo, who met while working with M.I.A. Formed around the concept of a soldier who had his arm replaced with a laser gun, this project was a reggae/dancehall record, produced in Jamaica at Bob Marley's Tuff Gong Studios. Initially, the Jamaican dudes were like "who dem white guys" (Ras Trent?) but since the huge release of their album "Guns Don't Kill People...Lazers Do", they have become in demand producers in Jamaica too.

They are my 6-year-old son's favorite band. And is favorite tune is "Mary Jane":



I wonder at what point he'll go "Ohhhh".

The video for "Pon De Floor" is not like anything I've seen before. It was directed by Eric Warenheim of Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job, who if you're not familiar with them are of the 'so bad it's good' school of comedy. It's a mind-blowing video. Anyways, thinking I was a cool uncle I showed it to my then 13-year-old nephew, who watched with mouth agape. I realized about half-way through with the dry hump dancing that I had made a judgement error. Hopefully he was not permanently scarred:

Pon de Floor

Major Lazer kind of have a thing for really bizarre videos. This next track is probably the most mainstream club track on the album, but the video goes in a very unsexy and bizarre direction, leaving me wondering WTF?

Keep it Goin' Louder ft. Nina Sky, Ricky Blaze:


Switch and Diplo are DJs with a love for Jamaican music. In July 2009, they each hosted an hour of BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix, which is a great reggae mix.

Major Lazer [Switch & Diplo] - Essential Mix 25-07-2009 by A Ketch

I have a deep and abiding love for reggae music ever since Summer Love of 2006, where my pals and I wandered out to the farthest speaker stack out in the middle of a field, and danced to reggae music until the sun came up. Great memories!