Site Player

Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Strokes - "Life is Simple in the Moonlight"

Ahh The Strokes. When their debut album 'This is It' dropped in 2001 it was like the second coming of rock and roll for me. I had just started grad school, was living in Vancouver, away from my significant other, and was enjoying/lamenting a second bachelorhood. I was deeply immersed in electronic music at that point, and The Strokes brought a vibrancy that was missing for me in rock at that time. They were the soundtrack to many many a good night.

In one guys bathroom near the computer lab was engraved the names of lots of rock bands, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Kyuss, Deep Purple, etc. I'm proud to say I added The Strokes on there. That's the magnitude of their importance for me at that time.

This track from their 4th studio album 'Angles' and is a return to form for them. Their 3rd album 'First Impressions of Earth' was an attempt for mainstream radio appeal, and was a bit of a flop. While nothing will capture the magic of that first album, (although their second album 'Room on Fire' came hot on the heels of the first and was pretty damn close), this tune is one of my favorites from the new album.